INSPIRE THE NEXT GENERATION FOR A LIFETIME OF GIVING“The B'nai Tzedek program offers a good start to a lifetime of philanthropy. I love the opportunities it provides for kids to have conversations with their families and other kids to discuss what they care about." Shawna Sone
B’NAI TZEDEKKids who care
Do something good. Feel great. Be involved. That’s the mission of B’nai Tzedek – a program for young people that allows children and adolescents to establish endowment funds on behalf of non-profit organizations of their choice.
Creating a B’nai Tzedek Fund has proven to be a meaningful gift and a popular way to commemorate milestone events. Many of these funds are created on the occasion of Bar/ Bat Mitzvahs or graduation.
How B’nai Tzedek works:
- A minimum contribution of $250 creates a B’nai Tzedek Fund in the child’s name. Many children start their own funds with a portion of their Bar/Bat Mitzvah gifts and invite family and friends to contribute.
- The Jewish Community Foundation matches the initial donation (up to $750) for a minimum fund balance of $500.
- Each year, your child or grandchild may choose an organization to donate 5% of the fund’s balance to any Canadian charity of their choice.
- As the child grows, so will the fund-through interest earnings and new donations from special events such as graduations, engagements, weddings etc. Making a contribution to your child’s or grandchild’s B’nai Tzedek Fund is an excellent way to commemorate a special occasion.
- Your child can make a grant request from his/her B’nai Tzedek fund to any Canadian registered charity by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
By giving teens the opportunity to be philanthropists, you place into their hands the most valuable gift of all: you teach them how to give.
Smart philanthropy starts here.
Create a B’nai Tzedek Fund in your child’s or grandchild’s name and get them started on a lifetime of Tzedakah.